HCAN partners helped organize a FANTASTIC action in Philly in response to the GOP meeting with Trump held there on 1.26. Thanks to leadership from CPD affiliate One Pennsylvania and participation from POWER (PICO), PHAN (Pennsylvania Health Access Network), SEIU, AFSCME, and AFL-CIO affiliates IBT, UNITE/HERE, IBT, USW and the PHL CLC for putting together two great days of events. On the 25th, PHAN and the Save Our Healthcare Bus Tour organized outstate health care events to help shape coverage and focus in on health care as the key theme of the protest on the 26th.
Then the 26th, CPD and partners turned out thousands for a rally in downtown Philly. The following groups in neighboring states sent people to the march: NYCC, Make the Road NY, VOCAL, Make the Road NJ, Make the Road PA, CASA, DE Alliance for Community Action, New Jersey Citizen Action , CWA, NJ Main Street Alliance, local unions and many more.
This was a great team effort. The Philly Enquirer estimated attendance at 5000, though organizers and the photos suggest many more!
See press, picture/social media and great video:
Great video from PICO and Philly We Rise here.
Clips are below:
- Washington Post: Thousands demonstrated against Trump in Philly. Is this a new era of perpetual protest? // January 26
- CNN: Soon Trump To Speak at Republican Retreat // January 26
- Kaiser Health News: At Party Retreat, GOP Still Searching For Health Law Consensus // January 26
- The Hill: Protesters in Philadelphia gear up for Trump visit Thursday // January 25
- Gray TV: Protesters greet Republicans in Philadelphia // January 26
- Philadelphia Inquirer: Thousands march through Philly to protest Trump’s visit // January 26
- Philly Voice: Protesters fill Center City streets as Trump addresses GOP at Loews Hotel // January 26
- Philadelphia Intelligencer: Protests welcome President Trump to Philadelphia // January